U.S. Citizen Services
Welcome to the American Citizen Services Unit!
For emergency assistance after hours
If you are an American citizen in Bulgaria with an after-hours emergency, please call (359) 2 937 5101. No documentary or passport services are available evenings, weekends or holidays.
If you are concerned about a relative or friend in Bulgaria and are calling from the United States, please call overseas citizen services at: 1-888-407-4747 (from overseas: 202-501-4444).
What We Can Do
We provide a wide range of services to American citizens visiting or residing in Bulgaria, including:
- Passport applications
- Notarial services
- Documenting births and deaths of U.S. citizens in Bulgaria
- Assistance with Federal Benefits
- Information on voting, taxes, public records, legalization of documents, and more.
- Assisting travelers in distress (emergency passports, arranging medical care, assisting victims of crime or arrested/detained U.S. citizens, death of a U.S. citizen)
What We Can’t Do
American citizens are subject to Bulgarian law when in Bulgaria. Please note that we cannot provide the following services – please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions:
- Bulgarian visa or registration.
- Legal Advice. Please see our list of lawyers. We do not endorse any firm or lawyer.
- Payment of services or bills.
- Endorsement or influence in private business matters.
What to Expect When You Visit the Embassy
We suggest arriving 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment to allow time for security checks at the Embassy entrance.
When you arrive, let the guards know that you have an appointment with the American Citizen Services Unit. You will be asked to show photo ID. If you are a U.S. citizen, please bring your U.S. passport.
Our guards will check your belongings and you will pass through a metal detector. Hand lotion, perfumes, cameras, mobile phones and other electronic devices are not allowed inside the Embassy.
Once you enter, you will find the American Citizen Services Unit to the right at window 10.
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions section to find information about: Customs, Driving in Bulgaria, Legalization of Documents, Obtaining Vital Records, Traveling with Pets, Reporting Internet Scams, Criminal Background Checks, and more.